A true Thai classic and one of our best sellers is up this week, Chicken Satay. Our classic dish of chicken bamboo skewers, charcoal grilled and served with peanut sauce and Thai sweet relish. A must if you are cracking out the BBQ!
8 bamboo skewers
For the marinade
100ml Coconut Milk
1/2 tsp galangal (ginger is a great substitue)
2 lime leaves finely chopped
1/4 tsp malay curry powder
A pinch of roasted, ground cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp lemongrass, finely chopped
¼ tsp coriander, finely chopped
A pinch of roasted coriander seed
A pinch of White pepper
10ml vegetable oil
For the satay sauce
2 cloves garlic crushed
4 shallots finely chopped
1 lemongrass stalk (white part only) finely chopped
2tsp malay curry powder
1tsp tamarind puree
1 tsp chilli paste
2 tsp palm sugar (brown sugar can be used)
375ml coconut milk
160g unsalted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
1 tbsp oil
TO MARINATE THE CHICKEN
1. Cut the chicken thigh into strips.
2. Mix all of the marinade ingredients together well and add the chicken. Leave the chicken to marinate in the fridge overnight.
FOR THE SAUCE
3. Heat the oil in a pan and add in the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, gradually stirring in the curry powder.
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and slowly bring to the boil adding water until it becomes a sauce.
5. Leave to simmer for 2 minutes to cook and season to taste.
6. Soak the satay sticks in water for half an hour. Then thread the chicken thigh pieces onto the satay sticks.
7. Grill each side until cooked thoroughly.
8. Serve with pot of your satay sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
We would love to see your creations from home!