How to make chicken satay
How to make Chicken Satay
For all you foodies out there wanting a taste of Thailand on this year’s staycation, we’ve chosen to share our Chaophraya chicken satay recipe for you to try home so that you don’t miss a thing.
A true Thai classic and one of our best sellers for all the obvious reasons. This tasty, simple and highly moreish dish is one we just can’t get enough of (and we know you won’t either!)
On our Chaophraya a la carte menu, Chicken Satay is charcoal grilled on bamboo skewers served with peanut sauce.
200g chicken thigh
8 bamboo skewers
For the marinade
100ml Coconut Milk
1/2 tsp galangal (ginger is a great substitute)
2 lime leaves finely chopped
1/4 tsp malay curry powder
A pinch of roasted, ground cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp lemongrass, finely chopped
¼ tsp coriander, finely chopped
A pinch of roasted coriander seed
A pinch of white pepper
10ml vegetable oil
For the satay sauce
2 cloves garlic crushed
4 shallots finely chopped
1 lemongrass stalk (white part only) finely chopped
2tsp malay curry powder
1tsp tamarind puree
1 tsp chilli paste
2 tsp palm sugar (brown sugar can be used)
375ml coconut milk
160g unsalted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
1 tbsp oil
To marinate your chicken…
1. Cut the chicken thigh into strips.
2. Mix all of the marinade ingredients together well and add the chicken. Leave the chicken to marinate in the fridge overnight.
For the sauce…
3. Heat the oil in a pan and add the shallots, garlic, and lemongrass, gradually stirring in the curry powder.
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and slowly bring to the boil adding water until it combines.
5. Leave to simmer for 2 minutes to cook and season to taste.
6. Soak the bamboo sticks in water for half an hour (this prevents them from splintering). Then thread the chicken thigh pieces onto the sticks.
7. Grill each side until cooked thoroughly.
8. Serve with your satay sauce on the side for dipping.
We would love to see your creations from home, tag us on our social channels, and let us know how you get on.
Alternatively, you can make a reservation by choosing the location of a Chaophraya near you today and leave it to the professionals, we hope to welcome you soon.