At Chaophraya, we are obsessed with our guests feedback. We do all we can to improve upon and introduce new recipes on our menu. One Thai dish that always comes up trumps is Tamarind Roast Duck (or what our regular diners may call Duck Tamarind) – a well known Thai recipe that is enjoyed all over The Land of Smiles - who can blame you, it's delicious! Tamarind Roast Duck / Ped Yang Makam is a tender duck breast roasted with fried shallots, cashew nuts, dried chilli and seasonal green vegeatbles. We wanted to create a vegan and vegetarian version of this dish so that our guests with dietary requirements could enjoy these flavours just as much as our meat eaters!
We have substituted the meat protein in this dish to organic tofu which is creamy and delicious. For this recipe we recommend you use organic produce and try to buy local ingredients to help the environment. You will need; a sharp knife, two chopping boards, frying pan, sauce pan and pestle and mortar.
Small Handful of Cashew Nuts
200ml Rapeseed Oil/Cooking Oil
4 Tender Stem Broccoli
1 Small Pak Choi
150g Organic Tofu
1/4 White Onion (fried and crispy)
Sauce Ingredients - below
- Prepare the tamarind sauce with the recipe and method below.
- Cut the tofu into four 1cm thick triangles and deep fry in the rapeseed oil at 180oC until golden brown.
- Wash the broccoli and pak choi then blanch in boiling water and plate.
- Place the tofu on top of the pak choi and broccoli as shown above and pour the tamarind sauce over the top.
- Garnish with crispy onions and enjoy!
- 2.5tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 125ml Warm Water
- 2tbsp Brown Sugar
- ¼ Birdseye Chilli (pound in a pestle and mortar)
- 30ml Dark Soy Sauce
- ¼ tsp Tomato Paste
- Use a saucepan for this recipe. Heat the pan on a medium heat and add the warm water and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the tamarind paste and stir until well mixed.
- Add the tomato paste and ground chilli then mix.
- Add the soy sauce and mix.
- Leave for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens.
You can leave this to cool and use at a later date but for this recipe, enjoy immediately!
Dont forget to tag us in your efforts on instagram! @chaophrayathai