How to make Thai Fish Cakes
How to make Thai fish cakes
Traditional is on the cards with our next recipe!
In Thailand, fish cakes are enjoyed as a starter or as street food across the country. They're very different to what you may associate fish cakes as becuase of the difference in taste, texture, cooking technique and the lot! There's nothing bland about our recipe. Our Thai fish cakes are loved across all our Chaophraya restaurants and that's why we want to share our recipe with you.
This is an easy and simple recipe, best enjoyed hot with touch of (chilli) heat.
5 fresh red chillies (you can add more!)
2 lemongrass stalks
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp shrimp paste
4 kaffir lime leaves
500g boneless fish, minced
1 tbsp finely chopped kaffir lime leaves
2 tbsp finely chopped green beans
1 tbsp red curry paste*
1 tbsp fish sauce
Cooking oil (half a sauce pan, for frying)
1. Using a pestle and mortar, crush and mix together your curry paste ingredients until it forms a thick red paste.
2. Mix the fish, red curry paste and eggs into a bowl thoroughly until the mixture becomes sticky.
3. Add fish sauce, green beans and lime leaves then mix well.
4. Heat a sauce pan on medium heat, half full with cooking oil.
5. Gently roll the mixture by hand into balls and flatten into a cookie shape.
6. Drop the fish cakes into the oil and leave to cook. When they’re cooked the fish cakes will float to the surface.
7. Serve with sweet chilli sauce and cucumber relish and enjoy!
Let us know what you think on our social channels @chaophrayathai
If you'd rather leave it to the professionals, you can make y our reservation with us here.